The Medical Secretary specialization qualifies graduates to work in doctors’ offices, clinics, healthcare centers, nursing homes, hospitals, insurance companies, and pharmaceutical companies. In addition to typical secretarial tasks such as managing databases and patient files, they are also responsible for medical claims processing, scheduling, coding, invoicing, word processing, and transcribing medical reports. Graduates are equipped to work in multiple fields within the healthcare industry.
High school branch
All high school branches
The number of hours of specialization
To prepare competent graduates equipped with the necessary theoretical knowledge, concepts, and practical skills to manage all aspects related to medical secretarial work and related records, in order to professionally execute all administrative and office services accompanying healthcare services in those institutions.
Specific Objectives of the Program:
1. To support the local community in general and the healthcare sector in particular by preparing and qualifying a scientifically and practically trained human workforce to execute all administrative and office services accompanying healthcare services in a professional and proficient manner. This includes tasks such as handling various forms of communication, scheduling appointments, receiving and delivering documents, providing administrative assistance to doctors, drafting messages and reports, maintaining medical files, and effectively dealing with medical records, patients, and healthcare professionals based on sound scientific and psychological foundations.
2. To supply the job market with qualified technical personnel of intermediate qualifications and provide significant support to the healthcare sector, including hospitals, medical clinics, and private dispensaries, in order to enhance their capabilities and the quality of services provided to the public.
3. To provide an opportunity for intermediate-level higher education to high school graduates from the scientific and literary branches who were unable to enroll in universities due to low grades, and to offer them opportunities to join institutions operating in the healthcare sector.
4. To create new employment opportunities to alleviate unemployment in the Palestinian society.
5. To utilize the available resources in the college and inject new blood into it by opening new specializations. This specialization is considered a cornerstone in serving the residents of the southern provinces and supporting them by opening new educational avenues for them.
Specific Objectives of the Medical Secretary Specialization:
1. To provide students with general cultural knowledge in Arabic and English languages, computer skills, and Islamic culture, with a clear emphasis on English language proficiency and computer skills.
2. To equip students with the necessary skills related to office management, medical clinics, and medical wing administration, as well as workplace organization.
3. To provide students with comprehensive computer skills and applications, particularly word processing and data entry and extraction related to healthcare professions.
4. To equip students with skills in writing medical letters and reports. 5. To provide students with practical knowledge of simplified medical English language, with a focus on medical terminology required in their work and in their interactions with medical teams and in report writing. 6. To provide students with the necessary knowledge about healthcare professions and public health, as well as various aspects related to them, such as administrative, communication, and accounting aspects, among others. 7. To equip students with communication, management, and interaction skills with visitors to medical facilities and healthcare teams at the workplace and beyond, enabling them to be effective and supportive members of the healthcare workforce. 8. To provide students with skills in opening, categorizing, archiving, and electronically and manually retrieving medical files. 9. To integrate students' theoretical and practical study with professional ethics, culture, and a good organizational climate.
The graduate holding a diploma has the opportunity to complete their undergraduate studies within the approved transfer conditions.
Job Opportunities for Graduates of the Specialization:
• Patient Services Department.
• Medical Records and Archives Department.
• Internal Departments (Inpatient Units).
• Outpatient Clinics (Admissions and Discharge Office).
• Auxiliary Medical Units (Radiology, Pharmacy, Laboratory, and Physical Therapy).
• Supporting Administrative Clinics (Purchasing, Warehousing).
• Public Relations Department (Medical Administration Departments).
• Writing medical reports and orders.
• Maintaining and archiving medical files.
• Organizing appointments, communication, coordinating and arranging medical meetings and schedules for doctors.